Iowa Golf Course Superintendents Association (Iowa GCSA), originally
named the Iowa Greenkeepers Association, was organized in 1921 and was
affiliated with the Iowa Horticultural Society in 1939.
1931, five members of the Iowa Greenkeepers Association approached Iowa
State University to begin a turf research program. As a result, the
first ISU - Iowa Greenkeeper Short Course was held in the spring of 1931
with 62 in attendance. The Iowa Greenkeepers Association held its first
annual meeting in March of 1932, and the membership rose to 48. In the
early 1960's, the title changed from the Iowa Greenkeepers Association
to the Iowa Golf Course Superintendents Association.
Iowa GCSA joined with the Iowa Turfgrass Institute in 1977 for the
purpose of increasing our educational opportunities. As a result of this
cooperative effort, we now have one of the finest regional turfgrass
conferences in the United States.
1980, the Annual Iowa GCSA Scholarship was founded, and in 1982, the
first ITI-Iowa GCSA Scholarship and Research Golf Tournament was held at
the Des Moines Golf and Country Club.
1995, the Iowa GCSA moved its office to Ames in association with the
Iowa Turfgrass Institute, the Iowa Professional Lawn Care Association
and the Iowa Sports Turf Managers Association.
2011, the Iowa GCSA, along with the allied associations of the Iowa
Turfgrass Institute, moved its office from Ames to Ankeny, creating a
partnership with the Iowa Golf Association.
Iowa GCSA is one of the oldest active regional Superintendents
associations and has grown from five members in 1931 to the present 500
plus members. It is committed to serving its membership and advancing
the profession of Golf Course Superintendents throughout the State of
2019 IOWAGCSA.ORG. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. The Iowa Golf Course Superintendents Association is a 501(c)6 nonprofit organization. 1605 North Ankeny Boulevard, Suite 210, Ankeny, IA 50023-4163 | Phone: 515-635-0306