Submit resume by going to www.cityofwaterlooiowa.com clicking on Career Opportunities, reviewing the Golf Course Maintenance II description and following directions to submit cover letter and resume. We will not accept mailed, faxed, hand-delivered or directly emailed resumes. Deadline to submit resume is Noon on Friday, November 20, 2020.
CIVIL SERVICE NOTICE
CITY OF WATERLOO, IOWA
GOLF COURSE MAINTENANCE II
DEPARTMENT : LEISURE SERVICES
SALARY : $28.84 with $1.00 increase after 6-month probation
FLSA : NON-EXEMPT
CIVIL SERVICE : INCLUDED
BARGAINING UNIT : CONSTRUCTION & PUBLIC EMPLOYEES LiUNA Local #177
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES
Performs duties relating to maintenance and operation of an eighteen-hole municipal golf course. The work is performed under the general direction of the Golf Course Maintenance III (Greenskeeper) and Golf Manager. If working weekends or in absence of Golf Maintenance III, will assume supervisory responsibilities. May supervise part time and seasonal employees.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (Illustrative Only)
These functions are considered essential for successful performance in this job classification.
1. Operates and maintains specialized golf course turf equipment and irrigation system.
2. Applies pesticides, insecticides and other chemicals in the care of golf course vegetation.
3. Assists Golf Maintenance III in supervision of a crew involved in daily golf course maintenance operations.
4. Diagnoses and treats turf insect and disease problems.
5. Trims and prunes small trees and bushes on golf course and assists forestry crew on larger projects.
6. Moves tee markers, cuts cups, adjusts mowers, operates weed eater and repairs equipment.
7. Rakes turf and sand traps and rolls sod.
8. Organizes and completes golf course projects and programs in absence of Golf Maintenance III.
9. Prepares written records and reports.
10. Operates golf maintenance equipment either riding or on foot.
11. Performs golf course maintenance on uneven ground and while golfers are on course.
12. Works in trenches to perform irrigation system repairs; confined space entry when working in water pits and manholes for irrigation system.
13. Participates in department preventive maintenance program for vehicles and equipment.
14. Responds to questions from the public concerning golf course maintenance.
15. Directs the work of part time and seasonal workers as assigned.
16. Workload varies and may be repetitive.
17. If assigned to work weekends, will assume supervisory duties.
18. Works independently and with others with minimum supervision.
19. Attends work regularly at the designated place and time.
20. Works outside in all weather conditions; works near moving vehicles and equipment; operates equipment and tools that cause vibration; exposed to pesticides, insecticides and other chemicals; noise level is often loud.
21. Performs all work duties and activities in accordance with City policies, procedures and OSHA, City and Leisure Services safety rules and regulations.
22. Performs all other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES
1. Knowledge of and ability to diagnose and treat turf insect and disease problems as they affect golf courses.
2. Thorough knowledge of the techniques and principles of golf course management and maintenance.
3. Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety procedures of golf course work.
4. Ability to operate golf course maintenance equipment such as riding mower, tractor, cultivator, loader, chemical sprayer, backhoe, trencher and other specialized golf equipment for four to six hours at a time.
5. Ability to plan, assign and supervise part time and seasonal employees.
6. Ability to express ideas orally and in writing.
7. Ability to understand chemical hazard labels and keep chemical spraying records.
8. Ability to exercise independent judgment in completion of assigned projects.
9. Ability to respond to questions and comments from the public tactfully and politely.
10. Ability to communicate effectively and maintain working relationships with coworkers, supervisors, elected officials, golf pros and the public.
11. Ability to work with people from a broad variety of social, economic, racial, ethnic and educational backgrounds.
ACCEPTABLE EXPERIENCE & TRAINING
1. Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in turf management, horticulture or a closely related field with minimum one year experience in golf course turf management
Graduation from a two-year horticulture program with minimum three years’ experience in golf course turf management
High school graduate/G.E.D. with minimum five years’ experience in golf course turf management
Any equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform the essential functions of the position.
1. Iowa Class A Commercial Driver's License within 120 calendar days of employment and good driving record based on City of Waterloo driver performance criteria. A candidate with any of the following will not be considered for employment: loss of license for any reason during the period of candidacy for employment, if the candidate remains without a valid, current license for the position when the City issues an offer of employment; loss of license, plea of guilty, plea of no contest or its equivalent or conviction for OWI, reckless driving or other major moving violation include habitual violator within the previous five years; four or more citations for moving violations within the previous three-year period, excluding speeding violations of 10 mph or less over the posted speed limit; three or more citations for moving violations within the previous one-year period. After appointment to the position, disciplinary action or continuing employment status may be reviewed for the following: four or more moving violations within the previous three years, three or more moving violations within the previous one year or loss of license or conviction for OWI, reckless driving or other major moving violation including habitual violator within the previous five years; two or more at-fault accidents within a three-year period while driving on City business; three or more at-fault accidents within a three-year period. An applicant’s driving record will be reviewed prior to an offer of employment and at least annually after hire.
3. State of Iowa Commercial Pesticide Applicators License for ornamental turf.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL ABILITIES
The following physical abilities are required with or without accommodation.
1. Sufficient strength and flexibility to perform assigned tasks.
2. Sufficient speech and hearing that permits the employee to communicate effectively with coworkers and the public.
3. Sufficient depth perception, distance and peripheral vision to safely operate vehicles and equipment in all weather conditions and to observe distance of golfers; sufficient color vision to note flag and tee markers and observe and diagnose turf diseases; sufficient dexterity to safely operate powered and manual golf course maintenance tools and equipment; sufficient hearing to understand verbal instructions, respond to questions from the public, diagnose equipment malfunctions and hear warnings of golfers.
4. Sufficient mobility that permits the employee to operate required equipment safely in all types of weather.
1. Must wear personal protective equipment such as safety shoes, safety glasses, hearing protection, gloves, protective clothing and respirator.
2. Must submit to Department of Transportation requirements including pre-employment, post-accident, reasonable suspicion, random and return-to-duty/follow-up alcohol and drug testing.
3. Following a conditional offer of employment, the City of Waterloo requires a physical examination and a drug test by a physician of the City's choice to determine if an applicant is capable of performing the essential functions of the position. Failure to pass the physical and drug test will result in withdrawal of the employment offer.
4. The City of Waterloo reserves the right to conduct a background investigation including driving, employment, education and criminal history checks on any applicant being considered for this position.
5. Must submit to and pass Civil Service examination procedures including a panel interview.
Shift time will vary but will generally be an eight-hour shift between the hours of 5:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. with half-hour unpaid lunch break. May work Monday-Friday but could be scheduled to work weekends with alternate days off (i.e. Monday and Tuesday). When working the weekend schedule, will assume supervisory duties. May be required to report after damaging storms.
Qualified applicants who apply by the deadline date will be required to appear before an oral examination panel consisting of a minimum of three people who have expertise in the areas being tested. An individual must receive a minimum average score of sixty points out of one hundred to achieve a passing score on the oral examination. The top applicants, as ranked by their scores on the oral examination will be the individuals placed on the certified list. Applicants who qualify as outlined and are full time regular employees of the City of Waterloo shall have one additional point per full year of employment up to a maximum of five points added to their final score. Honorably discharged men and women from the military or naval forces of the United States who qualify per provisions of Chapter 35 of the Code of Iowa and who are citizens and residents of the United States shall have five additional points added to their final score upon submission of their DD214 or ten points added if they were awarded a Purple Heart or have a service connected disability.
ORAL EXAMINATION DATE
Qualified applicants who apply by the deadline date will be notified of the time, place and date of the examination.
Minority, female & disabled individuals are encouraged to apply.
GOLF MAINTENANCE II DESCRIPTION 20 October 2020
2019 IOWAGCSA.ORG. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.The Iowa Golf Course Superintendents Association is a 501(c)6 nonprofit organization.1605 North Ankeny Boulevard, Suite 210, Ankeny, IA 50023-4163 | Phone: 515-635-0306