2nd Assistant Golf Course Superintendent
The 2nd assistant golf course superintendent supports the superintendent and 1st assistant with the maintenance, operation and management of the 27-hole golf course and takes a leadership role in the superintendent’s absence.
He or she is responsible for:
· Construction and maintenance of the golf course
· Daily course setup
· Irrigation repair
· Pest scouting and pesticide applications
· Supervising the maintenance and repair of construction and maintenance equipment
· Winter equipment service
· Actively participate in weekly planning meetings
The 2nd assistant golf course superintendent reports directly to the Superintendent.
The 2nd assistant golf course superintendent assumes responsibility for managing and maintaining golf course properties including:
· The golf course
· Maintenance equipment
· The golf car fleet
· Clubhouse grounds and landscaping
· Open spaces, wooded areas and unused acreage on the property
· Sod & tree nurseries
In addition, the 2nd assistant golf course superintendent assumes the following responsibilities:
o Construction, renovation and/or reconstruction of such properties, whether performed by maintenance staff or outside contractors.
o Prepares an annual want/need/wish list
o Trains, directs and supervises a staff of employees for the purpose of maintaining the properties. The 2nd assistant superintendent has authority to terminate employment of subordinates.
o Plans maintenance and project work to achieve the agreed-upon maintenance standards and long-range goals
o Oversees the scheduling and routing of personnel and equipment to accomplish the work. The 2nd assistant superintendent frequently inspects the golf course and related areas to evaluate how well management standards are being achieved and to effect changes in management programs.
o Assists with inventory control and the equipment maintenance programs.
o Keeps accurate records
· Requires advanced knowledge of agronomy and turfgrass management practices; a working knowledge of golf facility construction principles, practices and methods; and a thorough understanding of the rules and strategies of the game of golf
· Requires a high degree of administrative and executive ability, especially in terms of problem solving and decision making
· Requires excellent oral and written communications skills
· Requires participation in continuing education opportunities such as seminars, workshops, correspondence courses, field days and trade shows
· Must have or be able to obtain licensing as a pesticide applicator
This position offers year round employment with a starting base salary of $25,000 – 32,000 depending on experience.
Inquiries can be sent to:
Brett Hetland, CGCS
PO Box 678
Okoboji, Ia 51355
2019 IOWAGCSA.ORG. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.The Iowa Golf Course Superintendents Association is a 501(c)6 nonprofit organization.1605 North Ankeny Boulevard, Suite 210, Ankeny, IA 50023-4163 | Phone: 515-635-0306